Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Thing #20 - Libraries and Social Networks

I looked at the social networks as both a parent and as a librarian. Though I knew most of what I read in the TMCNet article and the Pew Internet and American Life study, a few things I found interesting. For instance, I thought that the number of teens using multiple means of communication would be higher. I had also never thought about the fact that my generation uses e-mailing much more that my son's generation to communicate. My son only e-mails me because he knows that it is the easiest way to get in touch with me. I do text message, but rarely - I use my cell phone for practical purposes and safety mostly. I rarely check my messages. I have an instant messaging account but never use it because I would have no one to IM with, as none of my friends or family members use it. I realized also that my son is definitely a Multi-Channel Teen. He IM's, texts, uses his cell phone almost exclusively, etc.

I decided to look at MySpace to begin. It disturbed me that the first thing I saw was the "Suckle on My Teet" video which included obscenities and sexual material. I don't consider myself a prude, but the thought of my own 14 year old coming across that really bugged me. Also, the privacy issue always gets me. As I have said before, I have no desire to make my thoughts, etc. public. I do, however, think that knowledge is power, and it is important for adults to be aware of social networking and its pros and cons.

No comments: